When I talk to people about China, the most common reply I get is: I would never go to China. I don’t like pollution, big cities and crowded places. Although that may be true, China is much more than that. In China every day is an adventure and nothing is what you think it is.
As an English teacher you have many benefits and they are the reason why so many English teachers extend their period of stay in China.
I was working in China for only two months, and it was enough for me to understand what makes China so attractive for foreigners to work and what are the benefits of English teacher there.
Benefits of working as an English teacher in China
1. Monthly payment is very good and it will allow you to save a lot and travel around (if you are not big spender). You may earn more money in Europe or America, but with this salary you can live like a king in China.
2. Living standard in China is very low; e.g. one discounted bus or metro ticket will cost you around 0.30-0.50$ per ride. If you are not picky eater and are okay with eating street food, you will spend 2-3 $ per meal.
3. If you are fully employed (not freelancer), school will pay for your accommodation and meals, so you will save even more.
4. You don’t work at weekends and holidays (2-3 months in a year, which are fully compensated). If you return after 1 year of teaching, you will even receive small compensation during summer holidays and your flight ticket will be remunerated after completing first year of teaching.
5. As a foreigner with white skin, you will be deeply appreciated by Chinese nationals. If you manage to get very close to them, they will even treat you as a family member, buy gifts for you, and take you out for lunch and dinner.
6. China is a vast country with over 20 provinces and each province has its own characteristics. By working here you will get opportunity to explore them and gain better understanding of the country. China borders almost every country in Southeast Asia and it can be used as a starting point for your further expedition. Travelling from China to other countries in Asia is just so cheap, compared to travelling from Western world to Asia.
7. You will have an amazing opportunity to learn Mandarin Chinese from native speakers.
8. You don’t have a lot of responsibilities as an English teacher. You just need to be funny, active, passionate about kids and deliver interactive English lessons.